An Asian technician had his arms amputated after he was hit by a strong electric shock while installing a signboard at a shop in Sharjah emirate.
The worker had apparently forgotten to disconnect power when he embarked on his work to fix a large sign board at the forefront of the shop in Al Madam area.
Newspapers said the unnamed worker was rushed to hospital in Dhaid where doctors raced against time to save his life.
“The shock was so strong that it destroyed the tissues, skin and bones in his arms. We had to amputate his arms to prevent gas gangrene which could spread to other parts of his body and lead to his death,” said Dr Thaer Kazim, a surgeon at Dhaid Hospital.
He said the patient needs to have prosthetic limbs after his wounds heal so he can practice a normal life.
Emarat Al Youm daily quoted the worker as appealing for public help so he can have prosthetic treatment.