Kate's hoax call: 'Suicide' nurse Jacintha's burial in India

Family members reportedly devastated as burial to take place in Shirva village near Mangalore

Jacintha Saldanha will be buried in India once the investigation surronding her death are complete.

Scotland Yard is investigating the case of two radio presenters who made a prank call that apparently led to an Indian-origin nurse's suicide, as the DJs were said to be in hiding amid global outrage.

The husband of the nurse is said that she would be laid to rest in Shirva, in Karnataka, India.

The husband posted the following mesasage on his Facebook account to express his grief,"I am devastated with the tragic loss of my beloved wife Jacintha in tragic circumstances. She will be laid to rest in Shirva (in Karnataka), India."

46-year-old Jacintha Saldanha was found hanging at nurses' quarters next to the private King Edward VII hospital in Marylebone, central London on Friday, The Sun reported.

Scotland Yard is understood to have asked police in Sydney for assistance, with a view to interviewing the two DJs ahead of an inquest into Jacintha Saldanha's death.


The family members of the tragic nurse in the royal hospital hoax call are devastated and angry for their personal lose.

In a report, Daily Mail believes she died of shame. A devoutly Catholic woman who was a ‘proper and righteous person’, Saldanha would have been ‘devastated’ at unwittingly assisting a colleague in breaching medical confidentiality over the condition of the Duchess of Cambridge.

When Nurse Jacintha Saldanha from King Edward VII hospital received a call from two prankster Australian radio jockey she, in absence of a receptionist, passed on the call to the desired destination.

Mrs Saldanha put the call through to Duchess Kate’s ward, where an unnamed colleague gave details of the duchess’s treatment for severe morning sickness.
A recording of the conversation was broadcast on the 2Day FM station with the DJs gleefully boasting about their successful hoax.

Few days later Saldanha was found dead in in the nurse's accommodation under mysterious circumstances.

Grieving husband Benedict Barboza has revealed his fury to Mirror as he struggles to come to terms with the suicide of his beloved wife.

Benedict is seething with the DJs from 2Day FM whose call duped Jacintha, 46. And he has slammed hospital chiefs for the way they handled the aftermath of the prank call about Duchess Kate. He feels very angry about the hospital management.

Solicitors Bircham Dyson Bell, acting for the hospital, said, “No disciplinary action of any kind had been taken or was contemplated in respect of Ms Saldanha.

“On the contrary, the hospital regarded her as having been the victim of a hoax and that she was blameless in the matter. She was being supported by the hospital and was regarded as a highly skilled and valuable member of the hospital’s nursing team.”

Royal officials said Prince William and pregnant Kate, who was at the hospital being treated for severe morning sickness, were “deeply saddened” by the mum-of-two’s death.

Click to see gallery of Duchess Kate and The making of a monarch


Immediately after the death of the mother-of-two Saldanha, it was believed that she has taken her own life after she was duped by two Australian radio presenters.

The hospital where she worked did not comment on media reports that she had committed suicide.

Now the police, ahead of a post-mortem examination next week, said they were treating the death, which happened at a property nearby, as 'unexplained'.

Police didn't release a cause of death, but said they didn't find anything suspicious. A coroner will make a determination on the cause next week, police said.

The London hospital that treated Prince William's wife Catherine blasted Saturday the Australian radio station whose hoax call led to a nurse's death, calling the stunt "appalling".

The company that owns the radio station behind a prank call about the Duchess of Cambridge's pregnancy says it is reviewing its broadcast practices.

Southern Cross Austereo chairman Max Moore-Wilton says in a letter to the chairman of King Edward VII's Hospital that the company will cooperate with any investigation.

Britain has reacted with horror at prank call. On Saturday, hospital chairman Lord Simon Glenarthur wrote to Max Moore-Wilton, chairman of broadcasting group Southern Cross Austereo which owns 2Day FM, to protest "in the strongest possible terms" about the hoax.

"It was extremely foolish of your presenters even to consider trying to lie their way through to one of our patients, let alone actually make the call," he wrote.

"Then to discover that, not only had this happened, but that the call had been pre-recorded and the decision to transmit approved by your station's management, was truly appalling.

"The immediate consequence of these premeditated and ill-considered actions was the humiliation of two dedicated and caring nurses who were simply doing their job tending to their patients.

"The longer-term consequence has been reported around the world and is, frankly, tragic beyond words."

A friend at the address said the family was "very, very shocked and unhappy at the tragedy".


Radio host in tears over death call prank

  • Twitter
  • submit to reddit
comments powered by Disqus


Most Popular in News

Emirates 24|7

In Case You Missed It ...

Happiness Meter Icon