The Tourism Unit of the Kandy Police Headquarters has taken into custody a young woman, reportedly a Netherlands national, who has a tattoo of the Buddha on her back.
Tourist’s tattoo lands her in trouble
The woman from the Netherlands has a tattoo of Buddha on her back
Patrina Irene Bronco, 26, who said she came to Sri Lanka with her fiancé had been at a leading restaurant in the city, and dressed in a manner that revealed the tattoo of the Buddha.
A group of Sri Lankan youth in the restaurant who had seen the tattoo on her body had flown into a rage, resulting in a heated argument between the two groups. Another youth who was in the restaurant at the time, had informed the police of the incident.
The police had arrived at the restaurant and arrested the foreigner.
When the statement was being recorded by the police, Bronco, had said she had got the tattoo done in the Netherlands, and she was not aware that it is an offence. She had also said that, if having a tattoo of the Buddha on her body is considered sacrilegious in Sri Lanka, she would tender an apology.
The Tourism Unit of the Kandy Police had produced the tourist before the Kandy Magistrate, who had warned her and imposed a fine of Rs1,000. She was released thereafter.
Latest jobs available
- Junior Financial Analyst - Dubai, UAECH2M HILL ,Dubai, United Arab Emirates2014-04-16
- Translator (ref: MOff-002047)The Nielsen Company ,Cairo, Egypt2014-04-16
- Senior OHS AdvisorRawaj Co. for Recruitment ,Riyadh, Saudi Arabia2014-04-16
- Marketing CoordinatorKEO International Consultants ,Doha, Qatar2014-04-16
- Quality Improvement Project ManagerUHN ,Al Kuwait, Kuwait2014-04-16